Top 15: Rules Of Facebook Etiquette

Facebook . . . a wonderful tool for staying connected with family and friends. That is, unless the people you’re connected to are constantly breaking these rules of facebook etiquette, in which case, reading your Facebook timeline becomes less entertaining, and more…


While the commentary in this article is obviously opinionated, we can guarantee you, 95% of people on Facebook think you’re a straight up clown if you break these rules, the other 5% are simply the ones breaking the rules along with you

1. Vaguebooking

“Wondering if it is all worth it.”

“Thinking that was a bad idea.”

2. Humblebragging

“I hate it when people on the street ask me if I’m a model.”

“I’m a size six now … so fat!”

3. Selfies

Bathroom mirror pictures

4. Self-Centered

Uploading too many pictures of yourself, blowing up your timeline and not responding to anyone who comments on it.

5. Spam

Applications, pages, quizzes, and chain status updates.

Remember those chain e-mails that demand you to forward to all of your friends or you’ll die a horrible, horrible death? Well, Facebook has a similar kind of chain, but usually for a good cause. Someone first post a status update about a social cause, encouraging those who read it to post the status too, so that their friends will get to read it and post it as well. This chain thus spread the cause, raising public awareness.

The intention here is right, but sometimes too much of a good thing isn’t good. When you see your newsfeed updates filled with the same status, you get annoyed instead, and you associate your negative emotion to that social cause.

6. Spelling and Grammar

You’re and your

It doesn’t need to be perfect, but hell if it looks like you struggled getting out of the 3rd grade… Criticize the spelling police all you want, you still look like a damn fool

7. Using relationship status to break up with someone

8. Using Facebook as your diary of love letters

I love you Chris! tell them at home. After all, who are you trying to impress here? Your significant other, or your Facebook buddies?

9. Arguing

Does the world really need to witness your divorce in progress? You see, there’s this thing

called private messaging. And wouldn’t you know it… couples actually talk on the phone… or *gasp* face to face.

10. Overshare yourself

Nobody gives a flying fuck about what you ate for breakfast, when you took a shit, We get it, you’re bored and you’re boring. Also, sharing too much can get you in trouble.


Facebook updates will come back to haunt you years down the road.

Some of my friends does this and who knows, somewhere on his friends of his friends friends list is his boss. So a call for trouble fbi, employers use facebook to spy.

Venting about your job. Even with your most stringent privacy settings, there’s still a risk that what you post can reach people you wouldn’t want it to reach, and your co-workers and boss are the last people you want to mess with. So, just play safe and leave your venting to somewhere private.

11. Stop running up your friend count

You don’t have 853 friends. In fact, you’re probably lucky to talk to 3 on a regular basis. You know it. I know it. The 800 bots on your friends list know it.

You probably shouldn’t request friendship from someone you have no connection with at all. But if you have something in common, be sure to include it in your friend request, such as I found you in this group about photography and would love to connect with fellow photographers.

12. Unfriend people for not interacting with you on facebook

Believe it or not, not everyone is on Facebook 24/7. In fact, we’re not even always on at least once a month. Blasphemy, I know. Stop turning response times into a game that the other person isn’t playing. Excuse us for not catering to you 24/7

13. Political views

If you’re going to say something, at least be semi-educated and open minded. When you have hundreds of friends and acquaintances in Facebook, you have people from all kinds of backgrounds, all with different jobs, beliefs, personalities, etc

14. Complain about Facebook privacy as you’re announcing your every location and action in the next post.

15. Call, rather than post personal news (death in family)

There you have it.