Lego is a line of plastic building toys that are manufactured by The Lego Group, a privately held company based in Billund, Denmark.
The company’s flagship product, Lego, consists of colorful interlocking plastic bricks and an accompanying array of gears, minifigures and various other parts.
Lego bricks can be assembled and connected in many ways, to construct objects such as vehicles, buildings, and working robots. Anything constructed can then be taken apart again, and the pieces used to make other objects. The toys have been incredibly popular for generations and are enjoyed by people of all ages.
The Lego Group also produces a line of video games and movies based on their popular toy line.
40 fun facts:
- LEGO is a Danish company that was founded in 1932.
- The name LEGO is an abbreviation of the Danish words “leg godt,” which mean “play well.”
- The first LEGO bricks were made of wood and were produced in 1932.
- The first plastic LEGO bricks were produced in 1949, and the design of the bricks has remained relatively unchanged since then.
- LEGO bricks are made of a plastic called Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS).
- LEGO bricks are manufactured in Denmark, Mexico, Hungary, the Czech Republic, and China.
- There are over 36 billion LEGO bricks in the world.
- LEGO bricks are manufactured in over 60 different colors.
- The LEGO Group is the world’s largest manufacturer of toy bricks.
- LEGO sets have been used to construct models of famous landmarks and structures, such as the Eiffel Tower, the Colosseum, and the Burj Khalifa.
- LEGO has released a variety of themed sets, including Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Ninjago.
- LEGO has also released a variety of educational sets, including sets for robotics and programming.
- The largest LEGO model ever built was a 1:1 scale model of an X-wing fighter, which was built with over 5 million bricks.
- LEGO bricks can be used to build a variety of different models, including cars, buildings, and even working robots.
- LEGO has released a number of video games based on its sets and themes, including LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Harry Potter, and LEGO Marvel Super Heroes.
- The LEGO Group has its own theme park, LEGOLAND, which is located in several countries including Denmark, Germany, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- LEGO has also released a number of movies, such as The LEGO Movie, The LEGO Batman Movie, and The LEGO Ninjago Movie.
- In 2011, LEGO overtook Mattel as the world’s largest toy company by revenue.
- The Guinness World Record for the tallest tower built with interlocking plastic bricks is 113 feet, 4 inches, and it was built with over 500,000 Lego bricks.
- A Danish man named Ole Kirk Christiansen, who was a carpenter, started producing wooden toys under the name LEGO. It is said that he named the company LEGO from the Danish phrase “leg godt”, meaning “play well”.
- LEGO bricks have been around for over 60 years, but they still fit together with bricks produced today.
- There are over 4 billion possible combinations for a 2×4 LEGO brick.
- The LEGO Group has produced over 600 billion LEGO bricks since its inception.
- The LEGO Group is the largest tire manufacturer in the world by number of tires produced.
- The LEGO minifigure was first introduced in 1978.
- LEGO bricks have been used in a variety of engineering and architectural projects, including a life-size house made entirely of LEGO bricks.
- LEGO bricks have been used to create a variety of musical instruments, including a guitar and a xylophone.
- The LEGO Group has its own museum, the LEGO House, located in Billund, Denmark.
- In 2009, a LEGO brick was sent to space aboard the space shuttle Discovery.
- The LEGO Group has released a number of video games, including the popular LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Harry Potter and LEGO Batman series.
- In 2010, a LEGO replica of the Roman Colosseum, made with over 400,000 bricks, was put on display in Rome.
- The LEGO Group has released a number of theme parks and attractions, including LEGOLAND theme parks and the LEGOLAND Discovery Center.
- In 2011, the LEGO Group overtook Mattel as the world’s largest toy company by revenue.
- The LEGO Group has released a variety of educational sets, including sets for robotics and programming.
- The LEGO Group has also released a number of movies, including The LEGO Movie, The LEGO Batman Movie, and The LEGO Ninjago Movie.
- The LEGO Group has a number of partnerships with other companies, including a partnership with NASA to create a series of educational sets.
- The LEGO Group has also released a number of video games based on its sets and themes, including LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Harry Potter and LEGO Marvel Super Heroes.
- In 2013, a man built a working LEGO car that could be driven on the road.
- In 2014, a team of engineers built a LEGO robot that could solve a Rubik’s cube in under a minute.
- The most expensive LEGO set ever sold was a replica of the Star Wars Millenium Falcon, which retailed for $849.99.